We all want our makeup to flawless, and healthy skin is the foundation that keeps you looking great. The right skin care routine is crucial for keeping skin at its healthiest, but with all the products on the market, building the right routine can be confusing. Here are a few basics from the pros to help you create the perfect routine to keep your skin healthy year-round.
Dry skin. If your skin tends to be dry and flaky, you probably have dry skin. Your skincare routine will focus on hydration.
- Choose a cleansing lotion that adds moisturizer and doesn’t over-strip your skin and use it morning and night.
- Use a moisturizing toner to balance your skin’s pH. Use it after each cleansing.
- Serums are an important part of your routine. Choose an antioxidant serum in the morning and a retinol-based serum for the nighttime routine.
- Moisturizers are important for dry skin. Choose one with sunscreen for the daytime and an extra hydrating moisturizer at night.
Oily skin. Oily skin still needs hydration; the trick is to use oil-free products to moisturize and balance your skin.
- Cleansing gels or foams are good options for oily skin. If possible, cleanse three times a day. Choose a gentle product that won’t over-strip – your skin will produce more oil if stripped of too many natural oils.
- Use a toner formulated for oily skin to balance your skin’s pH after each cleansing.
- Choose an antioxidant serum for the morning, a retinol, and AHA/BHA serums for your nighttime routine.
- To keep hydrated, use a sunscreen in the morning and a light, oil-free moisturizer at night.
- Always choose oil-free products formulated for oily skin.
Normal skin. Normal skin still needs regular care and hydration.
- Choose a cleanser formulated for normal skin. Cleanse twice daily.
- Always use a toner after cleansing to balance your skin’s pH.
- An antioxidant serum is helpful, but you only need it once a day. Use it in your nighttime routine.
- Choose a gentle moisturizer formulated for normal skin. Be sure that your daytime moisturizer contains sunscreen.
Always consult your esthetician about special treatments like peels or masks that may help your skin. Everyone’s skin is different, so it’s important to consult with a professional about your skin’s needs. Have a special occasion coming up and need a professional makeup application? Make an appointment today at Martino Cartier Salon. Our professional makeup artists will create a flawless look that fits your occasion, your style, and your individual personality. Give us a call at 856.582.6600, visit us at 304 Hurffville Crosskeys Rd., Sewell, NJ, or book an appointment on our free mobile app, available on iTunes or Google Play.